Our site is full of useful information, inspiration, advice and resources. If you're looking for something specific use the search box below to locate it.
Explore the roofing options that will complement the vision you have for your home.
When you choose a COLORSTEEL® roof, you’re never left short of options.
With up to twenty distinct roofing profiles to match the look of almost any home or commercial structure and a similar number of on-trend colours to choose from, you can have almost anything you want, any way you want it.
Colour has always been a key driver in the decision-making process, but increasingly building owners are placing a greater emphasis on the material profile to drive their individual aesthetic vision.
Basically, roofing profiles (in layman’s terms, the shape of the metal sheet) can be divided into three categories: corrugate, trapezoidal and tray.
Corrugate has been a widely-used fixture on New Zealand roofs for generations. Its symmetrical, wave-like patterns lend a softened visual aspect to the crowning glory of many thousands of homes and tend to suit a range of home designs.
Trapezoidal profiles are generally sharper and more modernistic in their look, with crisp, clean lines creating a very bold and distinctive impression.
Tray profiles are noticeably sleek and are often favoured by those intent on designing very contemporary-styled homes.
These days, there’s a clear appetite for greater variety and crisper looking profiles. Certainly architects, by their very nature, are often activated by departures from the everyday norm. But there are also many homeowners whose tastes tend towards the more distinctive end of the spectrum.
That said, despite the extended range on offer from COLORSTEEL®, the latest market data suggests that up to 80% of new-builds and re-roofs still feature classic corrugated steel.
This is a ringing endorsement of corrugate’s ability to blend with a spectrum of architectural styles, its strong value for money and, of course, its outstanding performance in a variety of climatic zones.
Of course, the other COLORSTEEL® profile options perform just as exceptionally as corrugated steel. So have no fears. Your decision should rest simply on the lasting visual impression you’re looking for.
Corrugate, trapezoidal and tray profile types are available nationwide but, as some are manufactured in only one or two locations, it pays to check just how quickly you’ll be able to access your preferred option in order to line up with your construction schedule. Your rollformer, installer or builder will be able to help there.
All in all, though, the choice is yours. 20 different roofing profiles and a similar selection of colours to suit any look you’re trying to achieve. You can get what you want with COLORSTEEL®. See our Supplier Directory for a trusted COLORSTEEL® installer near you.
Finding a profile that’s all you
Now that you know you have plenty of options, you’ll find yourself firming up your thinking on the profile that’s right for you. To help make your decision a better informed one, here are a few watch-outs to factor in.
- The pitch of your roof. The pitch of a roof relates to its steepness. The pitch of a roof can often dictate whether certain profiles can be used or not. If, for example, corrugate is ruled out, talk to your roofer about your alternatives. If you’ve got the right tradesperson on the job, you’ll find their assistance invaluable.
- Your roofing budget. Some roofing options are easier to install than others and are, consequently, a little more cost-effective. Formulate a very clear idea of how much money you are happy to commit before you consult with the professionals. Most roofing manufacturers and installers are only too happy to visit any site and provide a detailed quote. Take them up on the offer.
- The look you like. Rest assured, when you choose a roof manufactured with COLORSTEEL®, you’re buying something that will last a long, long time. So, if you’re planning to put down permanent roots where you are, think long and hard about the style of roof you choose. If your project is a new-build, consult with your contracted experts (architect, building company etc) to arrive at a decision that is compatible with the style of the building. If you’re contemplating a re-roof, it might be that you’re best advised to simply refresh the style you had before.
- Taking warranties at their word. COLORSTEEL® warranties are robust and secure. Provided that the conditions of our warranties are complied with (and in particular, adherence to our preventative maintenance guidelines and requirements), you can be confident that, in the unlikely event that anything goes awry, you will be appropriately covered. Please be aware of those requirements and follow through on them.
- The product’s place of manufacture. COLORSTEEL® products are rollformed in a number of different plants around New Zealand. While almost all profiles are available nationwide it will pay to check where your chosen profile is made and factor those transport costs into your construction timeline and budget.
With these checks in mind, you can approach your roofing decision with confidence. Remember, though, that the professionals - installers, architects, builders - are almost always happy to help you make a thoroughly informed choice. Tap into their knowledge base.
After a rigorous, multi-stage review process, COLORSTEEL® has received the Environmental Choice New Zealand ecolabel.More >